Readings:
Jer. 20:7-9; Romans 12:1-2; Matthew 16:21-27
The
Burden of Preachers!
1.
In
the first reading, Jeremiah used the language of a betrayed lover to describe
his relationship with God. According to him, God seduced, enticed, and
manipulated him with promises of fidelity and commitment into a relationship.
The Lord told him, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before
you were born, I dedicated you, and a prophet to the nations I appointed you.”
(Jer.1:5). When Jeremiah protested, “Ah, Lord God! I know not how to
speak; I am too young.” God told him, “Say not, “I am too young.”
To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak.
Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you” (Jer.
1:7-8) The Lord then touched his mouth, saying, “See, I place my words in
your mouth! This day I set you over nations and over kingdoms, to root up and
to tear down, to destroy and to demolish, to build and to plant.” (Jer.
1:9-10). Jeremiah was further assured: “But do you gird your loins; stand
up and tell them all that I command you. Be not crushed on their account, as
though I would leave you crushed before them; for it is I this day who have
made you a fortified city, a pillar of iron, a wall of brass, against the whole
land: Against Judah’s kings and princes, against its priests and people. They
will fight against you, but not prevail over you, for I am with you to deliver
you, says the Lord” (Jer. 1:17-19).
2.
So
why is Jeremiah so mad in today’s reading? Hear him: “Violence and
outrage is my message.” God’s Word brought him “Derision and
reproach.” Jeremiah thought God’s promises at the time of his call meant
people would love him and be receptive to his prophetic messages. Instead, those
he preached to hated, ridiculed, and suspended him in a pit of mud; they threw
him into jail, threatening to kill him. And so, in the first reading, he cried,
“You duped me, O Lord, and I let myself be duped; you were too strong for
me, and you triumphed.” (Jer. 20:7). Jeremiah’s plight is the burden of
every preacher who preaches God’s word, not what people want to hear, but what
would bring them salvation.
3.
Jeremiah’s
burden came from his mission. He was to point out rottenness and corruption in
high places, in sacred sanctuaries, among people who were supposed to be
shining examples of virtue and champions of justice. He called on the priests
to reform their lives and confronted kings and rulers to render justice to the
poor. When he prophesied violence and destruction, he was mocked and ridiculed
by the powerful and the priests. And so, he resolved not to speak of God’s
Words anymore. But he confessed his complete inability to remain silent.
Instead, he cried out that the word of God was like fire burning in his heart,
imprisoned by his bones: “I grow weary holding it in, and I cannot endure
it.” God would not let him be. Jeremiah, gripped by the power of
unrelenting love, must keep on preaching.
4.
Jeremiah
had to deal with the burden of his mission, just as Christ had his as well,
dealing with his disciples who did not quite know what his mission was all
about. Last week he confronted his apostles with the question: “Who do you say
I am?” Peter had an A+ with his answer that Christ was the anointed one of God.
Christ gave him an exalted position and called him the Rock on which he would
build his church. Peter was given the keys of the kingdom, to bind and to loose.
Yes, Peter had his five minutes of fame. But in today’s reading, Jesus called Peter
Satan. “Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking
not as God does, but as human beings do.” So, how deep was Peter’s knowledge of Christ?
By saying Christ was the anointed one, he thought that, as the anointed one,
Christ would rescue God’s people from the Romans and establish a kingdom where
there shall be no more poor, sick, blind, or lame. In that kingdom, as we read
in the ‘Sermon on the Mount’ (Matthew 5-7), there will be peace, love, and
justice. Sinners would be converted to the Lord; “There shall be no harm
or ruin on all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be filled with knowledge
of the Lord as water covers the sea” (Is. 9:15)
5.
The
Anointed One was expected to be a high priest or a judge; he was to be a
warrior or a great prophet like Elijah. He was to be so great, prosperous, and
powerful that suffering and pain would have no place in his life. The Apostles,
on the other hand, saw themselves as sharing in the master’s greatness. They
were destined to have high and influential positions in that kingdom. How could
Christ be talking about suffering, the cross, or even dying? Peter had to
prevent Christ from talking like that. But Christ saw in Peter’s reaction
another temptation trying to derail him from his mission. He
called him Satan, tempter, a barrier, an adversary, and a stumbling block. Just
like Jeremiah, no one wants to suffer, no one wants the cross, and no one wants
pains of any kind. We want an easy way out, so we cut corners, peddle the
truth, and compromise our principles and follow the crowd. No, Lord, this
must not happen to you. So, Jesus rebuked Peter and reminded him that
he does not give instructions to Jesus but should learn from the master.
6.
Jesus
lived a sacrificial life. His love went above and beyond his call of duty,
because his aim was always to bring us to a life of union with God. And so,
Christ constantly calls us to take up our cross and follow him daily. He said
that we must deny ourselves for his sake. This means saying ‘Yes’ to God and
‘no’ to self and self-inclinations. He calls on us to dethrone ourselves and
enthrone God in all spheres of our lives. We must seek to please God in everything.
Secondly, Christ invites us to take up our crosses as he did his and live a
life of sacrificial service. We must abandon our personal ambition to serve
Christ and those entrusted to our care. By so doing, we learn the meaning of true
happiness, which lies in following Jesus, obeying his command, and walking in
his footsteps. We do this through prayer, our sacramental life, and by living a
life of service. Let us pray that we may offer ourselves, as St. Paul reminds
us in the second reading, “As a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to
God.” Amen.
Rev. Augustine
Etemma Inwang, MSP.
No comments:
Post a Comment