Friday, February 18, 2011

Is Worrying really necessary?


The way I see it, worrying is simply a waste of time, an easy way to lose hair, a sure way not to sleep at night, and a license to a stressful life. Don’t get me wrong, I am speaking from experience of not paying attention to life’s lesson. I have had my worrying days and I have paid dearly for it. Just take a look at my hair and you will know what I am talking about. Mind you I used to have afro hair style once upon a time. You better believe it! That is all history now, thanks to worrying about the things I had no control over. But the truth of the matter is that most of what we worried about never happened as we once feared. A hard lesson to learn from life, you say. So true!

Life has taught us that worrying about the future is futile for there is basically nothing we can do about it except to worry. Yesterday is past and gone, tomorrow is not yet here, we only have the present, the here and now. It is here that the teaching of Christ rings supreme. Let us listen to him: “Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important that they? Which of you by worrying can add a moment to his life-span? As for clothes, why be concerned? Learn a lesson from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work, they do not spin. Yet I assure you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was arrayed like one of these. If God can clothe in such splendor the grass of the field, which blooms today and is thrown on the fire tomorrow, will he not provide much more for you, O Weak in faith! Stop worrying, then, over questions like, ‘What are we to eat, or what are we to drink, or what are we to wear?’ The unbelievers are always running after these things. Your heavenly Father knows all that you need. Seek first his kingship over you, his way of holiness, and all these things will be given you besides. Enough, then of worrying about tomorrow. Let tomorrow take care of itself. Today has troubles enough of its own” (Mt 6:26-34). What else can I tell you! But then the test of the pudding is in the eating. Let me wait and see if you will put this life’s lesson into action and stop worrying. It is when you stop worrying that you begin to live like a child of God who puts his or her trust in the divine providence. Happy worry-free life!

No comments:

Post a Comment