Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On the death of my mother!

I was in the office today, March 9, 2011, Ash Wednesday, at about 11:00 am when my brother, Barrister Kris, called and asked that I request prayer and Masses to be offered for my mother. You see my mother went down with stroke in the year 2002. With this sickness, she lost the use of her right hand, her right leg and her voice and had been unable to communicate with her voice. I prayed for my mother as I have never prayed for anyone before. Since her sickness, I was able to travel to Canada, Germany, Rome, Australia, England and the Holy Land. In all these places I prayed, lit candles and offered the Holy sacrifice of the Mass for my mother. My one prayer was that she would regain the use of her voice. I had so many dreams during this time of my mother talking again, I dreamt of her getting up from the wheel chair and walking again; oh I dreamt of having the good times with my mother and family again. Whenever I woke up from these dreams, I would call my siblings back home and enquire how mom was doing, always expecting to hear the good news that she was able to talk; but I never had the good fortune of such good news. Even today, after Kris had called, I prayed for mom, I called on friends to pray for mom, I asked my friend, Bishop Madden to pray for mom, I asked my priests friends to offer the sacrifice of the Mass for mom. And they all did. Yet just about three hours after Kris’ first call, he called back to inform me that mom had passed. Now does it mean that God did not answer my prayers?

By no means! What is an answer to prayer anyways? Can ‘no’ not be considered an answer to prayers? Since mom took ill with stroke many other people have had this sickness and did not make it as long as mom. Even the doctor who treated mom when she first took ill himself died some years ago. Mom was alive to see her children, 17 grand children and two great grand children. Yes, God answered my prayers and the prayers of my family and friends. The fact that my mom died on Ash Wednesday means a lot to me. My mother had the gift of final preservation, one of the greatest gifts God can give to his children. One other consolation for my family is that my pastor was able to see mom before she passed, he offered the sacrifice of the Mass for her right there in the living room; mom received the sacrament of the sick. Today being Ash Wednesday, she was given ashes, reminding her that she was taken from the earth and she would return to the earth mother died few hours after all these. Isn’t she lucky? Mother died in the presence my brothers and sisters and under the watchful care of my dear father, who himself prayed for mom sprinkling her with Holy Water to remind her of her baptism. With that my mother slept in the Lord like a baby. Who said that God does not answer our prayers?

In spite of all these it has not yet dawned on me that my mother is no more, that when I go home I will not see her. This truth will only come home to me after the funeral. I want to thank my many friends who have called, sent text messages and emails sympathizing with me over the passing of my mother. People from my former parishes and my parishioners have showed me how much they care for my family and me. You are very good to me indeed! May God bless and keep you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment