Thursday, June 2, 2011

Never Presume!

It has been really difficult to keep this blog at the pace I would have loved it to go. The demands of the parish and other engagements are making things very difficult for me. But not to worry, whenever I am able, you will hear from me. So how have you been since the last time you visited my blog? I sincerely hope that you are enjoying yourself. Summer is here! Did I hear you say, hooray? Sure, its that time of the year again when a lot of people, especially our younger ones, think they must almost go naked, why? They will answer that it is too hot. Just because it is hot does not mean we are not to cover our nakedness again. Or what do you think? Remember, the way you dress is the way you are addressed. A word is enough for the wise, they say.

Now what is it I want to share with you today? Oh yes, it is about presumption. Read and enjoy this short story, I am sure most of you must have read it before. Well then, no harm reading it again a second or a third time. Here we go: “A distinguished young woman on a light from Switzerland asked the priest beside her, “Father, may I ask a favor?” “Of course; what may I do for you?” “Well, I bought an expensive electronic hair dryer that is well over the Customs limits and I’m afraid they’ll confiscate it. Is there anyway you could carry it through Customs for me? Under you robes perhaps? “I would love to help you, dear, but I must warn you: I will not lie.” “With your honest face, Father, no one will question you.” When they got to Customs, she let the priest go ahead of her. The official asked, “Father, do you have anything to declare?” “From the top of my head down to my waist, I have nothing to declare.” The official thought this answer strange, so asked, “And what do you have to declare from your waist to the floor?” “I have a marvelous little instrument designed to be used on a woman, but which is, to date, unused.” Roaring with laughter, the official said, “Go ahead, Father” Next.”     

Now for crying aloud what was the officer’s understanding of the Reverend gentleman’s answer to him? You see, many times we miss the importance of a joke or a statement or a piece of communication because we presume to know what someone is talking about without taking the pains to ask or seek for a better explanation. The point of any communication is to pass on information about ourselves or about somebody or something. How would we ever really understand the information if we base our understanding on a mere subjective presumption or understanding of the point being put across to us? What do you suppose would be the best way for the officer to seek to understand the priest? Well for a start, he would have asked the priest to show him the ‘marvelous little instrument designed to be used on a woman.’ The priest would have brought out the electronic hair dryer and showed it to the officer. That would have solved the problem of being misunderstood. But then it would have brought in an altogether new problem of unimaginable proportion, exposing the priest, whose only aim was to help. Is that not how we all get into trouble at times, trying to be of help to someone? So you will be right to say that the priest was simply too smart for the officer. He told him exactly what he wanted to hear!

So the point of this post is simple: do not presume that you know what the other person is talking about. Ask for clarification and a better explanation of the point of discussion. He who asks understands. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Remember: there is no stupid question. It may sound stupid to the person who listens to you, but not to you. After all common sense is not common. If questions were not to be asked, irrespective of what it is, there would have been no word like ‘question’ in the dictionary. This sounds like a life lesson to me. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment