Sunday, May 29, 2011

Enslaved by my laptop!

I have not posted anything on this blog for some days now. It is not that I had nothing to share with you, but that my laptop decided to act up as they always do. All of a sudden my laptop refused to recognize my password, the same password I have been using all the time. But do you know the funny part of this all, my desk top had no problem recognizing my password, it was just the laptop. Do you wonder what we ever did without the cell phone, the laptop, without the iphone, the ipad, you name it. How did we do it? We survived, that much I can tell you, but how, I wouldn't know. Life seemed to have taken care of itself. But look at us now!

If we go to Church, it seems as if we wouldn't be able to make it through one hour that Mass will last without our cellphone. We even forget; or do we really forget to turn the phone off while in Church? Our phone has become second nature to us. Just check this out: you go to the airport or train station or school or hospital, everyone is on the phone, either talking, or reading email, or surfing the net or sending a text or just looking at it. It doesn't really matter what they do, but they are on it. Sometimes I think it is an indirect way to avoid human contact. No wonder why we have become an isolated and lonely society. We are more comfortable being on the phone or doing something on our computer than to have  a human contact or have a deep heart to heart talk with a human being. We have become pathetic, apathetic and cynical. That is why we become so frustrated and sad when we are imprisoned or enslaved by these digital devices. Who can rescue us from machines? 

I remember when I was young, how we used to enjoy moon-light play; when my father used to tell us folk tales; when we used to gather as a family for a meal and all those 'ancient things'. I bet you most of us would have no idea what I am talking about. All these have been replaced by TV and computer or cell phone. Oh God, I feel so old! Don't you think so? Well you can now imagine how I felt these few days, when I couldn't reach out to you because I was arrested and arraigned by the court of computer and digital device of our time. 

I was, therefore, surprised this morning when I turned on my laptop and it asked for my email and password and the laptop recognized them. And here I am writing to you. If you ever read this now you know how badly I wanted to get back to communicating with you. Think about your experiences and see if you have ever been imprisoned or enslaved by your digital devices. If you have, may be you handled it better than I did. Let us get back to the basics and see how we can rescue ourselves from what we have used our money to buy. It was to make life easy for us and not to make it difficult and unimaginable. Have a great day and a wonderful memorial weekend to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment