Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Matters of the Heart

Life has enough lesson regarding matters of the heart. What really is it? Is this what people call love? What musicians sing about? What poets have written pages upon pages on? Love? What does it mean? Is this what people call emotion, feeling, lust, infatuation, flirtation, agape, eros, pain or I have no idea what else to call it. This four letters word has brought kings, queens, men and women of faith, presidents and leaders of nations and nobles down to the ground. It has caused people to be booed out of office, caused priests and men of the cloth to be defrocked and sent others to prison.  It has caused many to lose their heads or their lives. When one is hit by love, it can make one lose appetite, sleep or to simply be miserable when the object of love is absent. Yet we are told that it is better to have loved and lost than not loved at all. Do I really believe that? Who likes to miss people; or who prefers to be miserable because of love.

Yet what is life without love? Love is the only thing that makes the world go round. Jesus tells us that he who abides in God abides in love. But this is divine love. How can we transform our earthly love into divine love? How can we stop committing sins in the name of love? How can we love without hurting those we love? The answer is found once again in the words of Jesus: Greater love than this no man has than to lay down ones life for ones friends. Does this mean those I love are my friends? Not always. Christ says once again that we are to love our enemies are pray for those who persecute us. So I am to love those who persecute me? Then I am to love ‘Love’ because love persecutes me. What a contradiction! I guess we will never be able to understand the question of love in this world. If so, then, God has a lot to answer on love. Have you ever loved and felt the pain of being in love? If yes, then you are truly human, for to love is to be human. But can I be spared the pain of love? I hope so, one day. Or dose it mean that I am not to love again! By no means!

1 comment:

  1. There is all kinds of love. Love of neighbor, friend, family. Yes, love can cause pain when you love someone and they hurt you. Jesus loves us to much he died for us. So, let us be kind and love one another and maybe the world will be a better place.

    ReplyDelete