Tuesday, April 12, 2011

On the journey of life!


Life shows us something very basic about itself: we are always on a journey. The journey begins at birth and continues till death. Some of the journeys may be smooth, others tumultuous. Some people begin and end their journey on the same day; that is death at birth, others live long so their journey gets longer as they get to travel to different places. Man therefore is a being towards death. We come to life so that we may die. What a journey!

I have reflected and pondered on life especially as it culminates in death so much so that I often wonder why we were born in the first place. If I am born to die what then is the purpose of life. A tough question to answer you would say. And you are right. Job in the bible reflected at length on this issue when he was faced with tribulation, deprivation and loss. He questioned everything and everybody. He challenged God to a debate. According to Job “Man born of woman is short-lived and full of trouble, like a flower that springs up and fades, swift as a shadow that does not abide. Upon such a one will you cast your eyes as to bring him into judgment before you, though he wears out like a leather bottle, like a garment that the moth has consumed? (Job 14:1-4). Unfortunately the reflection is always when we are faced with our mortality or when someone close to us passes on.

I have not posted anything on this blog since March 13. That was the day I traveled to Nigeria to be with my family and to plan for my mother’s funeral. I got home on March 15 and three days after my mother was laid to rest. My mother was given a wonderful burial. After the funeral came a big emptiness in our hearts and in our home. I will miss my mother; I will miss having her at home. But then her journey on earth has ended and we must continue on. I think the important thing is not that the journey will end one day, I dare say that the question will always be how well I was able to travel. Who were those accompanying me in the journey and how did I treat them. The truth about life is that we need people on this journey. So as you move on please check out those who are on the journey with you and treat them well. Be kind and gentle, be loving and forgiving, be compassionate and merciful, be gracious and supportive; be accommodating and sincere. We need all these virtues and more if our journey is to be meaningful and smooth. May God be with you as you travel long and may you reach your destination safe and sound!  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such moving words. Yes, we do not know where our journey will take us. For me, so far, my journey has been filled with many friends, my church family and family at home. I have been very blessed. I hope I can continue on this journey spreading the word of God to all I meet and that I will be "kind, gentle,loving, compassionate and forgiving" for the rest of the days of my journey that God allows me.

    ReplyDelete