Monday, May 2, 2011

On the death of Osama Bin Laden

As I checked my mail this morning I saw on yahoo mail the picture of Osama Bin Laden. I thought it was one of Bin Laden’s propaganda videos, but on closer look I saw that it was about his death. So on this day, May 2, 2011, under the Democratic dispensation, Osama has been killed by Obama. Noticed the irony? There is only a difference of the second letter in their names ‘S’ and ‘B’. This can’t be true. This man eluded the best and the most expensive Intelligence in the world for nine years and five months. His capture or death would have given a big boost to George Bush presidency. But that was not meant to be for him. Hard luck!

Osama Bin Laden was considered the America’s No. 1 enemy. I remember September 11, 2001. How can I forget that day? It was a day after my birthday and life was good. I was preparing breakfast in the kitchen when I got a call from a friend in New York, he said “Austin have you seen what a crazy pilot has done?” Tune to CNN and see the picture of one of the twin towers burning. As I tuned to CNN I saw the second plane flying into the second tower and the two towers were burning. CNN also reported that another plane had hit the Pentagon and that another plane was brought down in Pennsylvania. The country was thrown into mourning as about three thousand people lost their lives. It was a sad day indeed!

Osama Bin Laden, the founder and spiritual leader of extremists Al Qaeda group accepted responsibility for these dastardly acts. It was difficult to imagine such hatred for America. My question has always been, what really has Americans done to Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden for that matter? Due to the attack on American soil, America went to war in Iraq and later to Afghanistan. Scores of Americans have lost their lives and millions of dollars have been expended on these wars. Today the hunter became the hunted and America became the victor. President Obama said it so very well, “America did not choose this war, it came to our shores” Life’s lesson rings true here, six days belong to the thief but only one day belongs to the owner. Yes, America has taken back its pride and who is laughing now!

What does the death of Osama Bin Laden mean to the world? What reactions and emotions does his death evoke? There was an outpouring of joy as people gathered to celebrate the death of Osama. People said it has brought closure to the families of those who lost their loved ones. Really? Can the dead come back to life because Bin Laden is dead? I doubt it! World leaders are reacting, mostly positively and congratulating America over the death of Osama. Here is what the Director of the Holy See Press Office, Fr. Federico Lombardi, S.J.  said regarding the death of Osama Bin Laden. “Osama Bin Laden, as is known, claimed responsibility for grave acts that spread division and hate among the peoples, manipulating religion to that end. A Christian never takes pleasure from the fact of a man’s death, but sees it as an opportunity to reflect on each person’s responsibility, before God and humanity, and to hope and commit oneself to seeing that no event become another occasion to disseminate hate but rather to foster peace.” I have mixed feelings regarding Bin Laden’s death. I would have preferred for him to have been arrested and brought to book. I would have wanted him to be given life imprisonment after trial. But then “it is better for one man to die for the people than for the whole nation to be destroyed” John 11:50. Hatred can only beget hatred. But then I am speaking as a priest and not as the leader of a nation. I know that many people would have different reactions concerning the death of Osama, but what would Christ have done in Osama’s case? Was Osama created in the image and likeness of God? I think he was. How does the forgiveness preached by Christ fit into Bin Laden’s world? Here is his teaching: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on bad and the good, causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust” Matthew 5:43-46. So you see my predicament? How can I be a true Christian - citizen of heaven and a citizen of the world at the same time? Just thinking allowed. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I know you are right, but he "lived by the sword and died by the sword". It is really hard to say since he was so terrible. I wonder if he was likke that as a child.

    ReplyDelete