Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tribute to Mothers


Today we honor our mothers. This is a fitting celebration indeed. The relationship between a child and the mother cannot really be explained. The mother carried her child in her womb for nine months. During this period the child is fed directly by the mother’s blood linked through the umbilical cord. When the child is born the mother nurtures and provides for her baby. If the child gets sick the mother does not rest until she makes sure that her baby is well again. Many mothers go through a rough time like having bed rest for many months before the birth of their children.  Yes there are many reasons why these wonderful people in our lives should be celebrated. I hope all children and men have taken some time out to celebrate their mothers, just to say thank you for all they have done for us.

On a day like today, I cannot but remember the slogan of the anti-abortion group: ‘Mother thank you for not aborting me.’ If my mother did not give birth to me, I would not have been here today. Mother, for every pain and anxiety you went through for me, I am very grateful; for taking care of me while I was sick, I thank you. For rejoicing at my successes in life, I am proud of you. You are indeed my queen, my friend, my first love and my mother. What would I ever achieve without you? Where would I ever been had you not given birth to me. You are my beginning, you are my day, my night and my all.

For those of us whose mothers have passed on, we are grateful to God for giving us our mothers for the years we had them. I pray that my mother may be rewarded for the good works she did for me and in me while she was alive. I am sorry if I ever caused my mother any pain or sorrow. I do love you mother and now you are forever in my heart!

I want to conclude this post with a quotation from Proverbs 31:10-31, though the bible talks of an ideal wife, I want to replace the wife with mother: “When one finds a worthy wife, her value is far beyond pearls. Her husband (children), entrusting his heart to her, has an unfailing prize. She brings him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She obtains wool and flax and makes cloth with skillful hands. Like a merchant ships, she secures her provisions from afar. She rises while it is still night, and distributes food to her household. She picks out a field to purchase; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She is girt about with strength, and sturdy are her arms. She enjoys the success of her dealings; at night her lamp is undimmed. She puts her hands to the distaff, and her fingers ply the spindle. She reaches out her hands to the poor, and extends her arms to the needy. She fears not the snow for her household; all her charges are doubly clothed. She makes her own coverlets; fine linen and purple are her clothing; Her husband (children) is (are) prominent at the city gates as he (they) sit(s) with the elders of the land; She makes garments and sells them, and stocks the merchants with belts. She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs at the days to come. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and on her tongue is kindly counsel. She watches the conduct of her household, and eats not her food in idleness. Her children rise up and praise her; her husband, too, extols her; many are the women of proven worth, but you have excelled them all. Charm is deceptive and beauty fleeting; the woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her a reward of her labors, and let her works praise her at the city gates.”

Everything quoted above from the book of Proverbs could be applied to my mother. I believe that most children can say the same about their mothers. As we celebrate mother’s day today, let us pray that we may be to others what our mothers have been to us.

1 comment: