Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Let’s talk about Prophet Malachi

The book of prophet Malachi talks about the kind of sacrifices offered to God by the priests. What kind of sacrifice is acceptable to our God? What kind of sacrifice are you prepared to give to your God? Malachi reminds us that when we give to God, we acknowledge that our blessing comes from God and in giving back to God we share in his generosity. He attributes our misfortune to the fact that we are not offering God his due. Once we freely give to God, Malachi opined, he would open up the treasure of his blessing on us.

He stressed the obligation to pay tithe thus: “Surely I, the Lord, do not change, nor do you cease to be sons of Jacob. Since the days of your fathers you have turned aside from my statutes, and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. Yet you say, “How must we return?” Dare a man rob God? Yet you are robbing me! And you say, “How do we rob you?” In tithes and in offerings! You are indeed accursed, for you, the whole nation; rob me. Bring the whole tithe into the store house, that there may be food in my house, and try me in this, says the Lord of hosts: shall I not open for you the floodgates of heaven, to pour down blessing upon you without measure” (Malachi 3:6-10).

Please spend some time reading this short book, 3 chapters only, and pray that your sacrifice may be acceptable.  And while you read and pray this book of Malachi pay your tithe. It is better to give than to receive, and when you give to God he opens the treasure of his love and blessing on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment